Attending the PHE Cancer Services, Data and Outcomes Conference

By Charlotte Sturley, PhD Student

Last month (20th-21st June) I joined members of the research team and representatives from our Patient-Public Group at the PHE Cancer Services, Data and Outcomes Conference in Manchester. The event brought together researchers, clinicians, policy makers and patients to explore how data is being used to prevent, diagnose and treat people with cancer. The team was well represented with two researchers giving talks, two presenting posters and a BCI UK stand.

Dr Bethany Levick presented findings from an investigation into quality of surgery for colorectal cancer patients which generated a lot of interest from the audience. Dr Nick Burr presented results from his research into post-colonoscopy colorectal cancer rates in people with inflammatory bowel disease.

I attended a session on supporting earlier diagnosis which included a discussion on the importance of patient case-mix when comparing indicators by geographical area. This was relevant to my project in which I will be investigating geographical variations in bowel cancer incidence and outcomes.

Of particular interest to me was a presentation on data visualisation. Different techniques for displaying data and communicating findings to an audience in an engaging way were demonstrated. I left the talk thinking about how I could apply some of these skills to my project. I hope to explore this further in the coming months.

There was an opportunity to socialise with other attendees at the conference dinner - a couple of members of the team were spotted on the dance floor!