The Bowel Cancer Intelligence UK Patient-Public Group UK (BCI UK PPG) was established in 2016.
We are a team of independent patient advocates who represent the bowel cancer population and the public at large. We provide direction to the UK Colorectal Cancer Intelligence Hub and the Yorkshire Cancer Research Bowel Cancer Improvement Programme to ensure they stay focussed on producing intelligence to advance bowel cancer care. Our role is to act as critical friends to help them in their mission to drive the production and analysis of data that will improve bowel cancer outcomes across the UK.
Our group is very active, we:
- Meet every 4 weeks to review our progress and future plans.
- Propose new initiatives and coproduce them.
- Blog about key research and initiatives.
- Undertake activities at public engagement events such as the Great Exhibition of the North.
- Take part in national events such as Britain Against Cancer.
- Take part in international events such as European Cancer Summits.
- Write and review plain language summaries of our publications.
- Advise on what projects are most relevant to patients and the public.
Paul Ewart, a former colorectal cancer patient, is Chair of the group and we are supported by our Engagement Manager, Emily Boldison, and a programme of training. If you are interested in being involved please contact Emily.
You can also follow us on Twitter @BCI_UK.